Activity (or Lesson)
The Activity level describes the following components and decisions:
Who is doing these tasks:
Where these tasks take place:
- Outside of class (e.g., homework)
- Inside of class
What the student will be doing:
- The sequence of tasks (workflows) use to engage students:
e.g., discussing, problem solving, reading.
We have identified several workflows that make up known engagement techniques (strategies) and provided these pre-made workflows as micro scripts as a convenient way to build Activities.
An Activity/Lesson workflow shows the step by step methodology for a classroom activity. To access the Activity/Lesson Level Workflow page refer to Homepage (section above) or through the Project Navigation Panel.
1) Activity/Lesson level Workflow Information
– This same information is required at all levels: Title, Author, Description
2) Activity/Lesson level Workspace
– By default, an activity/lesson level is made up of four columns.
- Out of Class (Instructor) – for tasks which are completed outside the classroom
- Out of Class (Students) – for tasks which are completed outside the classroom
- In Class (Instructor) – for tasks which are primarily instructor-led
- In Class (Students) – for tasks which are primarily student-led
- A 5th column (and more) can be added with New Custom
– Column sequence can be changed by selecting the top icon and dragging it to the preferred column.
– Column titles can be edited
3) Activity/Lesson Tool Panel
– The sections of this panel are different for each level
– See Activity/LessonTool Panel sections below.
4 & 5) Project Navigation Panel and Menu bar are the same on all levels
Activity/Lesson Level Tool Panel Sections
Nodes – At the activity/lesson level nodes are the building blocks representing “who is responsible” for the work to be done (teacher or student) and “how students are engaged”. As with the other levels (Course and program), nodes are dragged and dropped onto the workspace (grey area) under the appropriate columns.
- Home (Instructor) = Out of Class (Instructor) – Can indicate tasks such as readings and other things an instructor must do to prepare for a lesson, class or activity
- Home (Students) = Out of Class (Students) – These can be activities, labs or any unit of instruction which students preform either before or after class time.
- Instructor = In Class (Instructor) – This allows for descriptions of what the instructor will be doing in class.
- Students = In Class (Students) – Allows for descriptions of the types of activities students doing during the class.
- New Custom – Enables the user to create a unique column with corresponding nodes
Strategies – This is a list of evidence-based learning strategies (Jigsaw, gallery walk, etc..), that allow you to quickly implement a strategy in your activity/lesson workflow
- Add a strategy (group of tasks) by dragging the strategy and dropping it into the workspace. This will provide the entire sequence of nodes required to implement the strategy.
- Modify the strategy for your own use (if needed) by removing or moving nodes and/or changing text (titles or descriptions). See Manipulating Nodes under Course Level.
Assigned Outcomes – this is how you assign Learning Outcomes to nodes within your workspace. This will be described in more detail below.
How to Build an Activity/Lesson
Once you have accessed the Activity/Lesson Level Workflow page follow the instructions below.
- Workflow Information: Type in the course information – title, author, description
- Tool Panel: Select a node from the Tool Panel section – Home (Instructor), etc..
- Workspace: Drag the node to the Workspace section (grey area) and drop it in the appropriate column.
Adding and Moving Nodes
- To add more nodes, continue to drag and drop the nodes where you want them on the workspace. (e.g. Home (Student) node will atomically be placed in the Out of Class (Student) column, etc.)
- Once dropped they can easily be moved from column to column and up and down levels within the workspace section.
As previous mentioned by default the Activity/Lesson Level has 4 columns which can be modified.
- The New Custom Column is not included at the start, but it is easily added to the workspace with a drag and drop action. Once the New Custom node is dragged on the workspace section it will create a 5th column, which can be renamed and positioned. This allows users to customize their workflow.
Lines between Nodes
- With the activity/lesson level lines between Nodes is automatic, however additional lines can be added between Nodes (boxes) to demonstrate feedback loops.
Content added on this panel appears on the selected Node
- Title: What is typed here appears in the node coloured box
- Context Icon: Represents level of interaction who isresponsible for the work to be done
- From dropdown menu identify level of student interaction: (i) individual work, (ii) small group, or (iii) whole class.
- Select the interaction, an icon representing the level appears on the Node (coloured box)
- Task icon: Represents how the students are being engaged in the activity.
- From dropdown menu review the verbs (discuss, present, etc…) that reflect how your students will be engaged.
- Select a verb, an icon representing the type of engagement (or task) appears on the node (coloured box).
- Description (node text box): This space can be used to elaborate on the tasks, provide links to materials, quizzes/questions.
- Time: You can allocate time to a specific node. It will appear at the bottom of a node.