Principal Lecturer Emeritus University of Washington
Author of a seminal meta-analysis on the impact of active learning with unheard-of popularity (over 3800 citations). Scott is leading the charge on examining the impact of such innovative pedagogies on different populations of learners, most importantly, the under-represented students. His latest work, currently in press, will be another winner with ground-breaking results that will challenge us to take action.
- Theobald et al. (2020). Active learning narrows achievement gaps for underrepresented students in undergraduate science, technology, engineering, and math. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS). https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1916903117
- Freeman, S., Eddy, S. L., McDonough, M., Smith, M. K., Okoroafor, N., Jordt, H., & Wenderoth, M. P. (2014). Active learning increases student performance in science, engineering, and mathematics. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 111(23), 8410-8415.
Professor and Chair of Learning Science and Higher Education
Manu holds the Professorship for Learning Sciences and Higher Education at ETH Zurich, Switzerland, and directs The Future Learning Initiative (FLI) at ETH Zurich. An ETH+ funded initiative, the FLI brings together more than 20 professors from 10 departments at ETH to advance research on the science of teaching and learning in higher education contexts, and translate it into the practice of teaching and learning at ETH Zurich. As a learning scientist, Manu makes a commitment not only to advancing the understanding of human learning but doing so in ways that make an impact in the actual ecologies of learning. Drawing on his engineering mindset for design, Manu conceptualized and developed the theory of Productive Failure to design for and bootstrap failure for learning mathematics better. He has done extensive work in real-field ecologies of STEM classrooms to transform teaching and learning using his theory of productive failure across a range of schools and universities around the world.
- Collins, Allan, and Manu Kapur. Cognitive apprenticeship. na, 2006.
- Kapur, M. (2008). Productive failure. Cognition and instruction, 26(3), 379-424.
- Kapur, M., & Bielaczyc, K. (2012). Designing for productive failure. Journal of the Learning Sciences, 21(1), 45-83.
- Jacobson, M. J., Goldwater, M., Markauskaite, L., Lai, P. K., Kapur, M., Roberts, G., & Hilton, C. (2020). Schema abstraction with productive failure and analogical comparison: Learning designs for far across domain transfer. Learning and Instruction, 65, 101222.
Watch: TEDx – Productive Failure